Revision of Casper Suite from September 26, 2011 - 1:11am
The revisions let you track differences between multiple versions of a post.
Casper Suite 8.0 integrates full iOS Mobile Device Management capabilities into the Casper Suite’s comprehensive Mac OS X client management solution. Additionally, version 8.0 of the Casper Suite features integration with Microsoft SCCM (more to come on that in the next two weeks) and runs on a variety of server systems, alleviating recent concerns about the discontinuation of Xserve.
- JAMF Software website – Casper Suite 8.0
- JAMF Software website – Mobile Device Management
- Downloadable PDF - The Casper Suite and iOS 4: Mobile Device Management
- Wire service URL – press release about MDM capabilities in the Casper Suite
- JAMF Software website – The Casper Suite offers enhanced support for Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Windows Server 2008 and Ubuntu, in addition to Xserve
The Casper MDM module is part of the Casper suite of tools for Mac OS X management. It is packaged as a Tomcat web application that runs on Mac OS, Windows, or Linux. Unlike many other vendors, Casper MDM manages nay iPhones, not RIM or Windows Mobile. This makes the interface much more streamlined and efficient, but perhaps inappropriate for diverse installations.
They have mimicked the iPhone Configuration Utility in the web app, allowing access to every configurable setting.
One of the best features is a web clip that can automatically be added to the configuration profile. The web clip points to the Casper server, which hosts an attractive "recommended apps" page. This page can include in-house apps to be downloaded directly, or links to the iTunes app store. Apps can be set to be downloaded automatically to the phone. The result is effectively a self-service, personalized one-click app store for users.