iTunes Account

• strict warning: Only variables should be passed by reference in /var/sites/e/enterpriseios.com/public_html/sites/all/modules/contrib/captcha/captcha.inc on line 61.
  • strict warning: Only variables should be passed by reference in /var/sites/e/enterpriseios.com/public_html/sites/all/modules/contrib/captcha/captcha.inc on line 61.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_field_user_name::init() should be compatible with views_handler_field_user::init(&$view, $data) in /var/sites/e/enterpriseios.com/public_html/sites/all/modules/contrib/views/modules/user/views_handler_field_user_name.inc on line 61.
Aaron Freimark's picture

Aaron Freimark

No votes yet

An iTunes account is required to backup and restore apps (free and purchased) and purchased content. Who sets up this account? Is deployment to hundreds or thousands of devices flaunting Apple's T&C?

PatGmac's picture

PatGmac

Take a look at: iTunes:

Your rating: None

Take a look at: iTunes: Turning on Activation-only Mode

Aaron Freimark's picture

Aaron Freimark

Content too

Yes, devices must be activated. My question is more about media and apps. What's the best way to sync these to many devices during initial deployment?

--
Aaron Freimark, Enterprise iOS founder & GroundControl CEO

Scoosh's picture

Scoosh

Not a lawyer, but I play one on TV

I recommend to defer the iTunes account creation to the end user.
If not, someone in IT deployment will create all the accounts.

The key thing, which I believe is what your asking, is:

Q. Can I install 1 license of Good Reader, purchased under 1 iTunes account onto multiple corporate iOS devices, used by different employees?

A. I'd say no.

This may be a violation of the ITunes Store Terms & conditions...

http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/us/terms.html#SALE

APP STORE PRODUCT USAGE RULES

(i) You may download and sync a Product for personal, noncommercial use on any device You own or control.

(ii) If You are a commercial enterprise or educational institution, You may download and sync a Product for use by either (a) a single individual on one or more devices You own or control or (b) multiple individuals, on a single shared device You own or control. For example, a single employee may use the Product on both the employee's iPhone and iPad, or multiple students may serially use the Product on a single iPad located at a resource center or library.

It's something your legal team (or the institution that is deploying the devices) to determine the interpretation. It appears straightforward, but I"m no lawyer.

--
Scoosh

PatGmac's picture

PatGmac

Education institutions should

Education institutions should become familiar with the volume purchase program: . I haven't gotten around to signing up for it yet, and not sure if there's something for non-edu.

Scoosh's picture

Scoosh

Re: volume purchase program

PatGmac wrote:

Education institutions should become familiar with the volume purchase program: . I haven't gotten around to signing up for it yet, and not sure if there's something for non-edu.

No VPP yet for commercial/enterprise. Right now, the companies I'm working with are either gifting the apps or the users are expensing the purchases back to the company.
Something students can't/shouldn't do.

JimSiegl's picture

JimSiegl

Apple Edu VPP program

I have a detailed explanation of the VPP program and step by step instructions for schools posted at http://iear.wikispaces.com/Volume+Purchase+Program

The "install on up to 5 devices" clause of the EULA applies only to consumers, not enterprises or educational institutions.
Jim

Russ Snediker's picture

Russ Snediker

Dropbox as Multimedia Transport

One method for keeping multimedia content updated across multiple devices without having to tie them to the same computer is to use Dropbox. If each user installs Dropbox and they are all all signed in under the same Dropbox account, all content from the master computer will populate down to the iOS devices.