Send custom settings together with OTA plist manifest?

• strict warning: Only variables should be passed by reference in /var/sites/e/enterpriseios.com/public_html/sites/all/modules/contrib/captcha/captcha.inc on line 61.
  • strict warning: Only variables should be passed by reference in /var/sites/e/enterpriseios.com/public_html/sites/all/modules/contrib/captcha/captcha.inc on line 61.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_field_user_name::init() should be compatible with views_handler_field_user::init(&$view, $data) in /var/sites/e/enterpriseios.com/public_html/sites/all/modules/contrib/views/modules/user/views_handler_field_user_name.inc on line 61.
curiouscat76's picture

curiouscat76

No votes yet

Hi,

Is there any way to distribute application (ipa) related custom settings on the time of IPA installation?
Our application should connect to the server what can have different IP addresses defined by admin,

We are looking for the way to send this as a parameter. As far i understand wireless plist manifest can not provide any values besides of ipa url, icons, md5 etc, we can not provide any additional plist files on the time of installation too.

Configuration profile installed same time can not set custom application parameters, is it right? It can only setup some predefined values, the only thing can be used (seems) is webclip as a shortcut (executing custom URL schema with the parameters appname://url=...). But we rather interested in a way our application can receive URL without webclip shortcut, if this is something we can get from configuration profile or any other source it would be nice to know..

Regards,
Dan

bryansmilk's picture

bryansmilk

Dan, Are you talking in

Your rating: None

Dan,

Are you talking in reference to a Webclip Deployment portal?

maloninc's picture

maloninc

Configuration Profile cannot install App's settings.

Hi curiouscat76 ,

I think your app should have a functionality to get the IP address from somewhere.
iOS does not provide to install app's setting or any documents by OTA.

If you are interested in a way your application can receive URL without webclip,
why not sending the URL by SMS or E-mail.

curiouscat76's picture

curiouscat76

Hi, Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. Yes i was thinking about having custom bonjour service or MDM push notification. But we have specific requirements to the intranet networks, can not guarantee apple push notification service connection plus thinking about other devices (Android Blackberry) running same functionality and needs the same. This should be something common and easy to do. As of now i have two choices:
1) to have a build script providing separate IPA for every URL configuration.
2) to continue with shortcuts AppName://url=. The easiest way is to place this shortcut to the web page with ipa as a href link. User will click on the download link what should install ipa and then executes a link with URL. The only thing IPA installation will not return back to Safari so user should be aware he should return back to Safari to complete installation wizard(click on the link).

regards,

hasan.kurulu's picture

hasan.kurulu

app download link

Hi

I have a related isssue and hope that one of you may be able to assist.

My custom enterprise app is ready and I created the app file. Also wrote the manifest for plist. However, when I go to the link from the devices I receive 'cannot connect to the (domainname)' error

I couldnt figure out how to register the link we use for the download. Can you guys help?

do we have to use xcode server? Idealy I dont want to

appreciate any quidance

thanks!

maloninc's picture

maloninc

Hi, Did you check iOS

Hi,

Did you check iOS Deployment Technical Reference?

https://help.apple.com/deployment/ios/#/apda0e3426d7

Probably you should check if the URL of manifest file and .ipa file start from https://