Remote Reboot of OS or APPs?

Joshua Elvey's picture

Joshua Elvey

No votes yet

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has come across a solution to our problem in any of the MDM software out there. We need to remotely reboot our iPads (NOT wipe). Basically, after a few days of our app running non stop on the devices, they need a refresh. If a remote reboot isn't possible, is it possible to close out the app and the relaunch it remotely? Currently, we're using Airwatch and there seems to be no function similar to this. If you have a solution, know a different provider with this function, or are looking for the same solution, please share.

stoneacheck's picture

stoneacheck

Short answer: Nope.

Your rating: None

Neither option is available through any MDM for Apple iOS devices. I'd suggest you teach your users how to reboot the device if applications are crashing, or if you want to, teach them how to force-quit open apps. In my experience people really latch on to the force-quitting and do it more than they need to. A reboot will clear the memory the same as force-qutting and is generally easier for most people to accomplish.

Aaron Freimark's picture

Aaron Freimark

Leaky?

1. It sounds like your app had a memory leak. Consider plugging it.
2. If you have MDM release single app mode, doesn't the iPad return to Springboard? Then you can reinstate single app mode to relaunch the app.
3. I do have a solution that may work, even in single app mode. Get in touch with me offline and I can show you.

--
Aaron Freimark, Enterprise iOS founder & Tekserve CTO

Joshua Elvey's picture

Joshua Elvey

Thanks for your reply. It

Thanks for your reply. It does seem that the users will have to learn those basic functions. Our demographic of users really have no experience with these devices and are often intimidated or afraid to "do something wrong"...I'll be curious to see if a non-jailbreak rendition of Veency is ever an option.

Joshua Elvey's picture

Joshua Elvey

Thanks Aaron. We don't use

Thanks Aaron. We don't use single app mode because we allow access to a few documents and videos. I will reach out to you for your help as suggested. Much appreciated!

bluicedragos's picture

bluicedragos

about app restart

Your rating: None (1 vote)

Try this trick and inform me if it works. If it is your in-house application and you pushed it through MDM, then upload your app to MDM again. Then it will silently update your app and that triggers app restart. Also you can change your in-house application version and upload to MDM again. Then the old version will be deleted from device and new one will be installed. I know it is cumbersome and overloaded procedure for app restart.

Mehmet Akif Acar
MDM Admin and iOS Developer

Joshua Elvey's picture

Joshua Elvey

re-install workaround

Mehmet,

I meant to reply sooner - thanks for the work-around suggestion. We have a very small bandwidth plan for each device and because of this I don't want to consume that excess data (our end-users have no wifi). I can't confirm your suggestion but I do appreciate it. If anyone else sees this and has success with this technique, post and let us know!

Josh