Programatically installing enterprise Apps

• strict warning: Only variables should be passed by reference in /var/sites/e/enterpriseios.com/public_html/sites/all/modules/contrib/captcha/captcha.inc on line 61.
  • strict warning: Only variables should be passed by reference in /var/sites/e/enterpriseios.com/public_html/sites/all/modules/contrib/captcha/captcha.inc on line 61.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_field_user_name::init() should be compatible with views_handler_field_user::init(&$view, $data) in /var/sites/e/enterpriseios.com/public_html/sites/all/modules/contrib/views/modules/user/views_handler_field_user_name.inc on line 61.
sulo's picture

sulo

No votes yet

Hi,
I'm currently working at a company which is thinking about getting an enterprise app store. They asked me to build an little Proof of Concept to see how things could be working. I have already some basic ideas about the processes that need to be out in place and so on. But since I've never done mobile App development I'm a little stuck. I'm currently searching the internet for information about how to install Enterprise Apps but all i find is how to do it by using iTunes.

I need a solution in which i can install mobile Apps programatically over a web site. Or Over one App that is installed on the device (initial app could be installed over iTunes)... Does anyone of you have any information about the installation procedure and would share it. Or does maybe anyone have some good links to online resources or could point me in the right direction.

Thanks a lot
Sulo

Aaron Freimark's picture

Aaron Freimark

Apps you create yourself for

Your rating: None

Apps you create yourself for internal distribution, known as In-House Apps, can be distributed by several methods.

The easiest is by URL. Aaron Parecki a nice tutorial on Over-The-Air distribution. Then, all you need to do is get the user to click on that URL. (We also have a wiki page on In-House App Deployment, but Aaron's is nicer.)

You can also create a Mobileconfig Profile using the iPhone Configuration Utility with the app bundled inside. These profiles are small XML files that can be installed via HTTP. One advantage here is that you can mark the app as not deleteable.

MDM can also be leveraged for in-house app distribution via profiles. Some MDM providers have robust conditional rules for profile installation — Casper Suite is one. Others have APIs for this purpose. The advantage of MDM here is reporting and scalability.

Finally, Mobile Application Management providers will do most of this work for you. This page has a list.

In each case you need to make sure you use the appropriate iOS Developer Program to obtain an in-house deployment certificate.

Hope that gets you started.

--
Aaron Freimark, Enterprise iOS founder & GroundControl CEO

kAb00t's picture

kAb00t

Take a look at that solution

Take a look at that solution here: www.bnator.com. They'll have a built in Enterprise Application Portal for iOS based devices.
I was wondering why you do not have that solution on thi website here after all? Because feature-wise it beats most of the other MDMs (Mobile Iron, etc.).

Hope that helps

- k

tateconcepts's picture

tateconcepts

Try TestFlight which is what

Try TestFlight which is what we use at Unilever and Tony and Guy Internetational. It works well with developers and doesn't require dealing with Apple nonsense when you just want to get an app out there and secured for test purposes.

https://testflightapp.com/

Cheers!

frank.moses's picture

frank.moses

I think many mobile apps

I think many mobile apps developers are working to manage and enhance such platforms.

D80Buckeye's picture

D80Buckeye

OTA App Installs

sulo wrote:

Hi,
I'm currently working at a company which is thinking about getting an enterprise app store. They asked me to build an little Proof of Concept to see how things could be working. I have already some basic ideas about the processes that need to be out in place and so on. But since I've never done mobile App development I'm a little stuck. I'm currently searching the internet for information about how to install Enterprise Apps but all i find is how to do it by using iTunes.

I need a solution in which i can install mobile Apps programatically over a web site. Or Over one App that is installed on the device (initial app could be installed over iTunes)... Does anyone of you have any information about the installation procedure and would share it. Or does maybe anyone have some good links to online resources or could point me in the right direction.

Thanks a lot
Sulo

Sulo - I'm somewhat necro-threading here but it seems to me you're overcomplicating the situation. I'd suggest taking a look at the following link. It's pretty straight forward and works well.
https://help.apple.com/iosdeployment-apps/#app43ad871e