Parsing error loading CSV file

mfennelly's picture

mfennelly

No votes yet

error message

I'm trying to use the AppleID Automator to create about 450 accounts. My CSV file looks correct, but it won;'t load. I'm wondering if there might be an issue with one of the security questions I picked - What is your favorite children's book? Is it possible that the apostrophe in the string isn't being escaped properly?

Eight_Quarter_Bit's picture

Eight_Quarter_Bit

a few more details

Your rating: None

Hmm... Possibly. Normally with AppleScript you can place single quotes (apostrophes) within a quoted string without it breaking the escaping. Haha, however, there is a lot of code there and stranger things have happened.

Does this happen immediately when the script tries to load the CSV, when it tries to set the popup button, on the last account, or when exactly?

mfennelly's picture

mfennelly

It is happening when I first

It is happening when I first load the CSV file. Everything looks correct to me. And I tried a security question without a special character and still has issues.

Eight_Quarter_Bit

Checks

Hm. If you open the CSV in a plain text editor, (the default TextEdit included with OS X will do, but I personally like Text Wrangler) is there a trailing carriage return (a blank line) at the end of the file? What program did you use to create this CSV? Numbers? Open Office? Excel?

mfennelly's picture

mfennelly

I used Excel (Mac version,

I used Excel (Mac version, Office 2011). I looked at the csv in TextWrangler and there is not a trailing carriage return at the end of the file.

Any other suggestions?

jerthebear's picture

jerthebear

I'm having a problem as well

I've been able to get it to work once, to create a single account. This was after going through the process to create the process several times to get it just right. Now, when I launch it and select my csv file (which only has 3 fields, email, first name and last name) the script fails to run and I receive a message that it has failed to start and asks me to sen a report to Apple. Any ideas? I'd LOVE to get this working since we're rolling out over 2000 iPads in my district this fall. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Eight_Quarter_Bit

A test

OK, let's see if we can isolate this to an issue with the constructed process, the input file, or the system.

Try running a few accounts through this constructed process and let me know if your results are the same. This is the process that I constructed for our own run of Apple IDs, so I know it's good. You can export the required headers for the process by clicking on "Tools and Options" and then "View and Export Required Headers."

Let me know how that goes, and we'll see what we can do from there.

jerthebear's picture

jerthebear

Test results

OK, my test failed when using your working process. I'm going to guess the issue is the fact that I'm using a virtual machine to do this. I'll be on a Mac Mini server tomorrow and I'll test the process again then. I'll update my post with my results. Thanks for your help!

Eight_Quarter_Bit

VMs

I also used a virtual machine to run about half of our batches of Apple IDs. What VM software are you using?

Burnettm's picture

Burnettm

Same Issue

Just to chime in, I am not on a VM and have the same issue. I ran your Constructed Test Process and receive the error "HPS Apple ID Setup Process - Interactive quit unexpectedly."

Eight_Quarter_Bit

Yet more info

Hmmm...

What OS are you guys using? Mountain Lion? Lion? Snow Leopard? Also, do you get anything pertinent in the system logs? (Applications > Utilities > Console)

mfennelly's picture

mfennelly

I'm using Mountain Lion on a

I'm using Mountain Lion on a mac. I did notice when I exported the headers that there was a random FALSE column in the header file.

Burnettm's picture

Burnettm

System Logs

Crash Logs

Here is a link to the crash logs. The 0742 instance I ran gave me the message that the job completed successfully but it didn't go through any of the steps. The 0743 presented the same error discussed earlier.

OSX 10.8.4

Eight_Quarter_Bit

FALSE column

Huh, was that in your constructed process or mine? I don't have a "false" when I export.