Is there a way to configure iOS device to revert on reboot?

• strict warning: Only variables should be passed by reference in /var/sites/e/enterpriseios.com/public_html/sites/all/modules/contrib/captcha/captcha.inc on line 61.
  • strict warning: Only variables should be passed by reference in /var/sites/e/enterpriseios.com/public_html/sites/all/modules/contrib/captcha/captcha.inc on line 61.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_field_user_name::init() should be compatible with views_handler_field_user::init(&$view, $data) in /var/sites/e/enterpriseios.com/public_html/sites/all/modules/contrib/views/modules/user/views_handler_field_user_name.inc on line 61.
Alexanderre's picture

Alexanderre

No votes yet

Hi everybody!
Is there a way to configure iPad/iPhone so it'd revert back to what's installed on it and what's in it's configuration profile, every time it reboots erasing all the data user has entered? It's about renting iPad for small hotels' customers.
Reminds me of an Apple iOS Demo Content, but is there a way to make such a setup manually with the tools available for everybody?
Thanks!

joeyamada's picture

joeyamada

Restoring to preconfigured state

Your rating: None

Hi Alexanderre,

If I was going to set up a collection of iPads to rent hotel customers, I would use Apple Configurator (a free download in the OS X App Store). You will need a Mac OS X computer running Apple Configurator to manage your pool of iPads. Here's how I would set it all up.

I will take the first new iPad and "Supervise" it on the Prepare screen in Apple Configurator. I will leave the iPad plugged in and will configure it as a "master image." Some things I would include in this master image include WiFi settings, Safari bookmarks, enable restrictions (more can be pushed out later with config profiles), organize screens and icons, set background, etc. After setting it up, under Supervise I will back up the iPad.

Supervised backups can only be restored to other Supervised iPads.

These Supervised backups are better than standard Apple Configurator backups that you would do on the Prepare tab because Supervised backups can contain passwords and other data (kind of like an encrypted iTunes backup, but only for Apple Configurator…standard AC backups do not include this info). The backups are located at ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup . The folder names are long strings of letters and numbers so if you see multiple folders in the Backup folder you will want to sort by date to find the most recent one.

Once I have my Supervised "master image" backup, I plug the rest of the new iPads in and Supervise them while restoring that "master image" backup (you may want to look into a "sync and charge" type of tower. I have this one at my desk http://www.griffintechnology.com/business/multidock ). If you are on the Prepare tab and Supervision is not turned on, you will not see your Supervised backups. If you switch Supervision to "on" you will see the Supervised backups under the Restore menu.

When all iPads are Supervised, I install apps and add other configuration profiles (which you can create on the Prepare Screen by clicking on the "+" sign at the bottom of the window).

Now that all the setup is complete you can check out your iPads to your customers. When they return the iPads to the front desk, simply plug them into the Mac OS X computer (or "sync and charge" tower) and Apple Configurator will wipe them clean and restore the "master image" that you initially set up.

Here's a PDF with some info on Apple Configurator.
http://www.apple.com/iphone/business/docs/iOS_Apple_Configurator_Mar12.pdf

Hope this helps!!
~Joe

Alexanderre's picture

Alexanderre

Thanks a lot for such a great

Thanks a lot for such a great answer
I do use Configurator, though I'am interested in using some sort of hidden methods Apple uses in their iOS demo content backup which resellers deploy on demo units. Somehow those units clean themselves up each time they reboot. But there's no such option in Configurator or Profile Manager in OS X Server. I wonder how they do it Smile



Xalio's picture

Xalio

Unfortunately, the demo

Unfortunately, the demo content does not allow to manage the device....

You can get it on the ASW (Apple Sales Web) website...

@nicolasraison
fr.linkedin.com/pub/nicolas-raison/45/431/522/
D80Buckeye's picture

D80Buckeye

"Kiosk Mode"?

Are you referring to Apple's "Kiosk Mode" that they run on their iPads in Apple Stores?

Alexanderre's picture

Alexanderre

don't know what kiosk mode

don't know what kiosk mode is, but what I refer to is what's included in Apple's iOS Demo Content available for download at ASW

