Is it possible to push appstore applications using the IPCU configuration profiles?

• strict warning: Only variables should be passed by reference in /var/sites/e/enterpriseios.com/public_html/sites/all/modules/contrib/captcha/captcha.inc on line 61.
  • strict warning: Only variables should be passed by reference in /var/sites/e/enterpriseios.com/public_html/sites/all/modules/contrib/captcha/captcha.inc on line 61.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_field_user_name::init() should be compatible with views_handler_field_user::init(&$view, $data) in /var/sites/e/enterpriseios.com/public_html/sites/all/modules/contrib/views/modules/user/views_handler_field_user_name.inc on line 61.
farhanible@gmail.com's picture

farhanible@gmail.com

No votes yet

I know that it is possible to invoke appstore application installs on a remote device using any of the MDM providers. From what I understand, the MDM api just pushes a configuration profile to allow this remote app installation. So, the question is, is there any documentation of what that XML config looks like?

I want to be able create an XML mobileconfig file and e-mail it to iOS devices for app installation. We don't have an MDM solution yet, and just want to do this in the interim. I know it's possible to send out a link to the iTunes application but, it would be nice to bundle everything (wifi settings etc.)into one mobileconfig profile.

brlx's picture

brlx

it is possible

Your rating: None

It is possible, and yes, there is: http://www.apple.com/iphone/business/resources/ The third party MDM vendors probably use these resources too.
(by the way, it took one (1) google search and 3 minutes to find it)

Aaron Freimark's picture

Aaron Freimark

Brix, not everyone is as

Brix, not everyone is as skilled at Google as you, that is why we have his board. And unfortunately, I still can't find the answer on that page. Maybe I'm just bleary-eyed. Can you be more specific?

--
Aaron Freimark, Enterprise iOS founder & GroundControl CEO

brlx's picture

brlx

config profile reference

You want to look for configuration profile on that page, and it leads here: https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#featuredarticles/iPhoneConfigurationProfileRef/Introduction/Introduction.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40010206
Also, on this page above, there is a link to this more general page about the config profiles: https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/NetworkingInternet/Conceptual/iPhoneOTAConfiguration/Introduction/Introduction.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40009505
(Sorry, I did not want to offend anybody, it just seemed easy to google for "iphone config profiles")

farhanible@gmail.com's picture

farhanible@gmail.com

Nope

I have been using the IPCU and looking at the iOS profile reference docs since before MDM was a thing. It does provide for a way to deploy enterprise applications but, this can only be used for apps that you write for internal (enterprise) distribution (not on the AppStore). I haven't found a way to deploy native iOS applications that reside on the Apple AppStore using an iOS profile (mobileconfig file).

Thanks,
Farhan

brlx's picture

brlx

sort of

That is correct, from the AppStore you can't push apps in the background.
What is possible however, at least FancyFon FAMOC does it somehow, that you can push an app install in a way that the user only has to enter an Apple ID and the password and do nothing else, and the app is installed. Apps installed this way can be tracked remotely (ie. if they are removed) and can be removed remotely.

studiobrain's picture

studiobrain

Custom profiles allowed?

I have come to same impasse as listed above. I found all the links to Configuration Profile and api, yet I need the ability to create something that will pass the app store nazis. Any idea how this app is able to pull it off? https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/parentkit/id600618138?ls=1&mt=8

possibly access: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4213

Thanks!