Head-to-head: AirWatch vs. Maas360

Tippet5x's picture

Tippet5x

No votes yet

Hello

I was looking for some real world feedback, that could help with a decision.
Price between the two are close. Airwatch does offer multi language interface and the option to route 443 to their environment and the back. No software installed in my environment.

I don't think maas360 has that option but I heard their up port is better

Thank you

jdale's picture

jdale

Tippet5x - I work for

Your rating: None

Tippet5x -

I work for MaaS360. I'll keep this brief and let others chime in. I can offer up one of our customers who has evaluated both solutions. Let me know if you would like to take me up on that offer. Also, here is a recent article (last week) which could provide more insight into what you are looking for: http://www.datamation.com/mobile-wireless/mobile-device-management-buyer...

I can't tell if you have evaluated either of the solutions yet, however, MaaS360 allows instant evaluations right off the website, and it takes just minutes to integrate into your existing systems.

MaaS360:
- Has all inclusive pricing. We never charge extra for set up, activation, or 24x7x365 live support.
- Never requires any appliances or VPN tunnels for e-mail, AD, or BES integration. Also, there are no requirements to replicate AD to a location off your network.
- Has the Authority to Operate with the Federal Government through FISMA certification (the only MDM solution to obtain this), is a participating member of the Cloud Security Alliance, and obtained SAS70 type 2 for the past 4 years (now called SOC).

Don't let the fact that I am a bass fisherman play bias. I trout fish as well! We have some great streams in PA.

Cheers, Jonathan Dale

AirWatch's picture

AirWatch

AirWatch Information - Tippet5x

Tippet5x,

Thank you for your interest in AirWatch. We would like to provide you with additional information regarding the topics you mentioned above.

AirWatch includes foreign language support for Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Spanish and Portuguese.

To confirm, we do offer a SaaS solution that does not require software to be installed in your environment. We also have On-Premise and Appliance options if you would prefer to host the solution. All inbound and outbound traffic is protected via SSL. Pricing for each model is posted on our website (http://www.air-watch.com/buy/).

AirWatch also offers a 30-day free trial that takes just minutes to get started through our website http://www.air-watch.com/trial/index.html.

If we can provide any more information to help with your decision, please let us know!

The AirWatch Team

mbernier's picture

mbernier

You should notice that

You should notice that MobileIron will soon release a cloud-based offer based on the MobileIron MDM solution. With no software to install on your infrastructure as well.

Also, even if I do appreciate hosted solutions and I see the real need for companies for that kind of solution, I don't see a real opportunity here.

Most of the on-premise solutions are VMWare based, running on small VMs (2 vCPUs, 4 GB or RAM) and 2 of them are enough to manage around 3000 to 5000 devices, peace of cake.

bdogd's picture

bdogd

MDM Vendors

Hi Guys,

Pretty clear that you watch these forums for questions and (cough), sales leads.
Thanks for jumping on this one so quickly.

Andrew

mrxx2001's picture

mrxx2001

AW trial ongoing

Tippet5x wrote:

Hello

I was looking for some real world feedback, that could help with a decision.
Price between the two are close. Airwatch does offer multi language interface and the option to route 443 to their environment and the back. No software installed in my environment.

I don't think maas360 has that option but I heard their up port is better

Thank you

Hi folk

I work neither for AW nor for Maas360, but I'm involved in a AW trial right now. Don't know anything about Maas360, but toying around with AW is real fun and pre-sales support (ok, pre-sales...) is very good. The documentation for trial users is poor, particularly if you're interessted in detailed integration scenarios (active directory authentification, mail infrastructure integration, etc.). However, we havn't taken a final decision, yet.

I just recommend you to start a trial, it's not complicated at all and the AW guys are pretty smart. Of course, if you have the time (I don't), should start a Maas360 trial as well - nothing too loose, right?

Maybe you can provide some experiences here...

Traja's picture

Traja

Fortunately for you I have

Fortunately for you I have evaluated both products and can tell you a majority of what you want to know about them. If you don't want to spend a lot of time learning the ins and outs of a MDM Maas360 is the way to go. I found it pretty easy to use right off the bat and their support far more personal than AirWatch. Those MaaS360 guys would call me every week to see how things were going and I had a single point of contact. With AirWatch I would receive the occasional email and even though you have an account rep all that rep does is handle the financials and point you to the general support line, the technical side of AirWatch is not their expertise. This system works and I am able to get my issues resolved and the support is fairly knowledgable, i was just unaccustomed to working this way. Once I am completely setup I figure I shouldn't need to contact support much anyway.

AirWatch is definitely more granular of a system; its robustness leads to a more complex product which initially seems overwhelming and might be overkill for your environment. But at the end of the day, all MDM's do what Apple allows them to which basically is whatever is in the iPhone Configuration Utility. Download and play with that first then start your trials so you won't be immeditaely sold on features that all MDM solutions have.

bdogd's picture

bdogd

Very well said

Traja wrote:

... at the end of the day, all MDM's do what Apple allows them to which basically is whatever is in the iPhone Configuration Utility. Download and play with that first then start your trials so you won't be immeditaely sold on features that all MDM solutions have.

AirWatch's picture

AirWatch

Not all MDMs are equal, and

Not all MDMs are equal, and customers often grow beyond general MDM capabilities necessary to get them past the first simple use cases.

Some MDM features that don’t always come to mind immediately and are extremely important in an MDM solution are scalability, multi-tenancy, branding capabilities, application management capabilities, enterprise integration, cross platform support, reporting, etc.

For more information, please see: http://www.air-watch.com/keydifferentiators/index.html

The AirWatch Team

hainder singh's picture

hainder singh

mobile device management

Well there are many features that are not considered, there are many local made handsets which are difficult to configure as many MDM providers are mainly focused towards major mobile handsets in world.
In India there are many locla mobile manufacturers such as Lava, Karbonn, Mobilemax etc which have complex software and they are difficult to configure
We at Kochartechnosoft offers mobile device management to all the handsets in india whether it is local handsets, chinese mobiles and even to those mobile handsets which IMEI numbers are not recognized by device managers.
Mobile Device Management
IVR Services

ringo_73's picture

ringo_73

Which on to use?

Your rating: None (1 vote)

I have been looking at both of these on trial for the past 2 weeks and have come across some issues that nether of them address properly. I would like to lock down the device so the MDM profile can't just be removed without either a password that is set from the portal or wiping the device, I would also like to set the Restrictions passcode on the device so the user can't just wipe the device without knowing this passcode. Is there any MDM solution that can cope with just some of these requests.

mrxx2001's picture

mrxx2001

@Which on to use?

@ringo_73: iOS devices are still consumer oriented devices - that's the reason why the user - who is in most cases the owner - can always remove the MDM profile and also can wipe the device without a passcode. It's not an issue of any MDM solution, it's just the way Apple has designed it....

David Mattison's picture

David Mattison

Sorry, I'm new the MDM.I

Sorry, I'm new to MDM.

I just want to check what you wrote.

Can you set the profile removal options (like in apple configurator) with MDM solutions?

In current MDM solutions, do you have no access to set the restrictions on the device (ie, its the same options as apple configurator)?

AirWatch's picture

AirWatch

David, Yes - You can set

David,

Yes - You can set profile removal options including:
1) Allow Removal
2)Allow Removal with Authorization (require entry of Admin created password specific to each profile)
3) Never Allow Removal.

For "Never," the user can only remove this profile by completely un-enrolling from MDM or wiping the device.

For your second question: Restrictions set within MDM profiles are viewable on the device but not changeable. For example: If you apply a profile to restrict camera use, the user can view this setting from the device but cannot select the camera restriction to change the configuration (it will be "greyed out").

You can learn more about iOS MDM features here: http://www.air-watch.com/solutions/apple-ios

The AirWatch Team

David Mattison's picture

David Mattison

I have used SimpleMDM, and

I have used SimpleMDM, and was concerned the user could easily remove the MDM profile. Is this what is known as un-enrolling?

bdogd's picture

bdogd

MDM basics

All devices under MDM management, on all MDM systems from all the vendors, can have the management enrollment profile removed by the user at any time.

This removes any delivered settings or data carried in by MDM.

A fundamental tenet of iOS MDM is that the User is King ™

This is solved by using the carrot and stick method, policy and acceptable use, and binding restrictions with capabilities so any removal of management will block the user from things like email, which are highly desired on mobile devices.

AirWatch's picture

AirWatch

Yes - Removing the global MDM

Yes - Removing the global MDM profile "un-enrolls" the device. This will remove all settings applied to the device through MDM profiles. Profiles contain important corporate configurations that the end user will typically need, so users are discouraged from removing the global MDM profile.

Configurations can include:

• Profiles: Configure device settings and user credentials for accessing enterprise resources
  • Certificates: Integrate with certificates for secure distribution and management of profiles
  • Accounts: Provision access to corporate Email, Calendar, Contacts, Wi-Fi and VPN networks
  • Applications: Distribute and manage internal/public/purchased apps via the App Catalog
  • Content: Distribute corporate documents and secure mobile access using Content Locker

The AirWatch Team

Mireya's picture

Mireya

AirWatch is an Atlanta-based

AirWatch is an Atlanta-based provider of mobile device management (MDM) software and standalone management systems for content, applications and email.In July 2013, the company acquired Motorola Solutions MSP (Mobility Services Platform) and extended management capabilities to ruggedized devices.
VCP5-DCV Study Material