Automatic Updates for VPP apps

timlings's picture

timlings

Your rating: None (1 vote)

I was wondering if anyone had found a solution to this...

We've got some iPad minis which we're supervising with Apple Configurator and then installing VPP apps with. However, on the iPads themselves, under 'iTunes and App Store' in Settings, there is a very tantalising switch for 'Updates' under 'Automatic Downloads', even when you are not signed into the App Store. Has anyone managed to get this to work? Or do you have to be signed in with an AppleID? And would it be craziness to sign in with the iTunes account used to authorise the apps on Apple Configurator?

Thanks

Tim

jesselvella's picture

jesselvella

Info

Your rating: None

I don't think you can even use the VPP account as an Apple ID to download apps. So you may need to sign them into a generic account and then the apps will automatically download. I think the iPad needs at least one account in order to do anything on the App Store, even automatic updates.

Johan Gunverth's picture

Johan Gunverth

Yes, you need at least to

Yes, you need at least to prepopulate the iPad with an app (free or purchased) that belongs to the AppleID you want to use. The user can also use his/her own AppleID for other purchased apps.

timlings's picture

timlings

Solution found!

I've found a way to get this to work!

Please read this post to find out more.

Thanks,

Tim