Apple's New Deployment Programs

• strict warning: Only variables should be passed by reference in /var/sites/e/enterpriseios.com/public_html/sites/all/modules/contrib/captcha/captcha.inc on line 61.
  • strict warning: Only variables should be passed by reference in /var/sites/e/enterpriseios.com/public_html/sites/all/modules/contrib/captcha/captcha.inc on line 61.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_field_user_name::init() should be compatible with views_handler_field_user::init(&$view, $data) in /var/sites/e/enterpriseios.com/public_html/sites/all/modules/contrib/views/modules/user/views_handler_field_user_name.inc on line 61.
benhuckle's picture

benhuckle

Your rating: None (4 votes)

[Editors Note: Aaron is on vacation this week, so a huge thanks to Ben for providing this big news.]

Looks like Apple has unveiled its new deployment programs.

Device Enrolment Program (US only)
AppleID for Students Program
More enhancements to the Volume Purchase Program

Fraser Speirs has a good write up on his blog.

Joshua Elvey's picture

Joshua Elvey

Very excited about this.

Your rating: None

Very excited about this. Hopefully AW supports it soon. Apple confirmed that this will only apply to devices purchased through apple. Unless I missed something, It looks like we'll be supervising devices without the need for Configurator, or a host Mac.

adehart's picture

adehart

Is it just me?

I'm a bit underwhelmed and can't tell if it is just me. Wouldn't a large part of the IOS population, particularly in medium sized businesses, be excluded from this program because of the Apple direct purchase requirement? We've never bought any devices from Apple direct. I was very excited when I heard of these new changes and then completely let down when I found out that the devices had to be purchased from Apple.

I understand the idea of corporations controlling personal devices as being a problem but if we can prove we own the device why not let us enroll the device?

benhuckle's picture

benhuckle

The idea is that the IT

The idea is that the IT department never touches them so makes sense its new devices from Apple. It would be nice to enrol existing device but there isn't as much advantage.

The WWDC 2013 session 300 "Managing Apple Devices" is good watch to see how this stuff works.

2014-03-07_08.52.39.png

Ben Goulding-Huckle
Onefruit Charge & Sync Solutions
www.onefruit.co