I just deployed 24 iPads in my company, and I'm using Apple Profile Manager 2 as MDM solution.
I'm using variable to create a single configuration profile that will load user info automatically, leaving just password entry for the users.
%short_name% is used as variable for user account
%mail% is used as variable for the exchange server email
Everything go smooth, the user enter his password and mail start to receive exchange mails.
It turns out that exchange mail configured in this way are not fully recognized by iOS:
1- if you use mail everything works fine
2- if you use 3rd party app like Smart Office 2 or BBC app, and you want to share via mail something you get a message that first you need to configure an email account
3- if you configure extra email account like iCloud one or gmail one, any of them can be selected as default email account, except for the exchange account that won't be listed at all, like if it don't exist, but it's there and working from mail app.
The above is verified both with iOS 6 and iOS 7, so it's not iOS7 issue
a guy left the company, a new guy get the iPad, he enroll the device login in with his account info, but exchange mail setting still report the previous user mail (configured as explained before)
I tried restoring iPad, soft and hard reset, from the device and connected to the MDM (MacMini), I assume the problem is in MDM software and not in the device itself considering when it's restored it's completely empty
Any idea / suggestion?
Any help will be appreciated
We have encountered the exact same problem in our environment. We solved the problem by deleting the device record from the database – even though you delete the device in the Profile Manager web interface, the device is still in the database, marked as deleted.
You should be able to delete the device using this statement (be aware of all the quotation marks, not 100% sure I’ve put them right – (you need to have some quotation around the SerialNumber field).
sudo -u _devicemgr psql -d device_management -c "Delete FROM devices where “”SerialNumber””=””[put device serial number here]””;"
Try executing a select first, to be sure that you get the right device before deleting it
You might also want to use tools like pgadmin3 to access the device_management database (remember to start pgadmin3 with sudo, or you won’t be able to access the database).
I'm sorry for the late reply but I was in the middle of domain consolidation project and I was not able to test your solution since a couple of weeks ago.
Your suggestion actually fixed the issue, and last week I updated the server to Maverick version.
Now I'm waiting next swap of device to understand if Maverick server fixed the issue or if we'll have the same problem next time.
By the way the other issue I pointed out was caused by a settings in configuration profile, about Exchange:
if you check "USE ONLY IN MAIL", the exchange mail account can't be set as default account. I really don't understand this but I'm happy we figured out the issue
Glad that you have worked out your problems. Thank you for your reply
Please let me know if Mavericks solves this issue, as we have still not updated our environment.