AirWatch and managed deployment? Anyone?

Aaron Freimark's picture

Aaron Freimark

Your rating: None (1 vote)

Hopefully in the next day or two I'll be able to post a walkthrough of how VPP managed distribution works. But at this moment I'm stuck. On my AirWatch instance, everything works until the last step: I can get AirWatch to push the app to my iTunes purchase history. I've opened a ticket but no luck yet.

It is probably something peculiar about my configuration, but I figure I'd poll the group. Have any early adopters successfully used AirWatch & the new VPP?

OmegaApex's picture

OmegaApex

Airwatch already has this in

Your rating: None

Airwatch already has this in their version? I use another mdm and I have to wait until December to update the server software to support it.

bfromm's picture

bfromm

Coming in HF5

While you can see the UI elements now, actually managing the application license flow will require the 6.5.1.5 or greater release (HF5). Until then, you can read more about this functionality here: https://ask.air-watch.com/entries/28324088-Support-for-VPP-Enhancements-...

Aaron Freimark's picture

Aaron Freimark

That explains the

Your rating: None (1 vote)

That explains the frustration. I'm on 6.5.1.4. Yeesh.

--
Aaron Freimark, Enterprise iOS founder & Tekserve CTO

jlock's picture

jlock

Hey guys, The day that

Hey guys,

The day that AirWatch announced managed deployment I noticed that the link above mentioned 6.5 HF5 as the required minimum version, but the following day they posted this:

https://ask.air-watch.com/entries/28349553-Enabling-License-Based-VPP-fo...

Above link provides a script for compatibility for users on 6.5 GA to 6.5 HF4. We are on 6.5 HF3 and I was able to get our VPP account linked using the instructions (taking care to change the token file extension as directed). I am still waiting on word from Apple that our VPP codes have been converted but I bought some "free" licenses for Garageband to test with and it looks like it's working great. We'll see how that plays out once I get all our codes converted. One downside is that AirWatch notifies users via email when you link the token to your MDM. The email itself is pretty straightforward but I would have preferred to send it out after all my codes were ported.

jesselvella's picture

jesselvella

Meraki MDM

Any word on when Meraki's MDM will enable this feature if at all?

iosomg's picture

iosomg

Meraki mentioned in a blog

Meraki mentioned in a blog post Oct 15th that they are working on the new VPP system, so hopefully will be rolling it out in the near future. They were pretty quick to get the new supervision options for iOS7 implemented, though I imagine the VPP program will entail a fair bit more work.

Waiting with bated breath for Aaron's walkthrough of managed distribution...

LcTrKiD's picture

LcTrKiD

Airwatch VPP managed does not work

I am working with Airwatch MDM since April 2013 and I was waiting for the VPP so in November a started to change all my redeems code to managed system in my VPP but Airwatch does not work properly so I can't deploy de Apps to my users (a lot of children in a school, near 200 plus teachers). They told me they have open a support request with Apple and their team 2 weeks ago but They can't resolve my problem and I think mine is not the only. So We are thinking to change our system for the next course to other MDM system.

jesselvella's picture

jesselvella

AirWatch App Deployment

LcTrKiD,

I ran into some issues with this as well. What I found was that each iPad needs its own Apple ID as to redeem a VPP managed code you need to accept an invite from the AirWatch MDM. I am not sure if that is your issue but if you could explain your setup and problem a bit more perhaps we can help you out. If AirWatch has any issues I bet it's most likely due to something not working well on Apple's end. I have seen countless issues that always go back to Apple not releasing functionality or having bugs with their system.

Thanks!
Jesse Vella

LcTrKiD's picture

LcTrKiD

My english is not very well

My english is not very well but I'll try to explain my problem.

I activate my VPP token late november and Airwatch sent the invitation to everyone in iOS 7. At this time was all ok because I didn't had any managed app (only redeems) and redeems seems to work fine (even now). Right now I have 3 Apps that I can give a revoke and Airwatch show me that 17 of 20 (my test) has the 3 Apps but in "real world" only 4 has all the Apps, and the others 16 has no apps or only 1 or 2 of them. So I need physically to be with the iPads to see the apps...

Sorry about my english!