AirWatch VPP issues

m.lepich's picture

m.lepich

No votes yet

Hello,
The company that I work for just started using AirWatch. We have upgraded to 6.5.1.8 which allows us to use the Apple VPP program. I have everything set up in the Apple VPP program and have copied the token over to the AirWatch server. I tried "buying" a free app to test out the push to devices, however I can't get it to show up on the test iPad.

Is this because I need to test with a "paid" app as opposed to a free app?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Mark

nashaway's picture

nashaway

VPP question

Your rating: None (4 votes)

It has to be a paid app to work no matter what MDM vendor you use. (Apple rules) Also switch to Tangoe MDM Smile

Tom Markham
MDM Product Delivery Engineer
Tangoe, Inc.
tom.markham@tangoe.com
http://www.tangoe.com

tboyko's picture

tboyko

Paid vs free apps via VPP

Your rating: None (1 vote)

Hi Mark,

Apple's VPP program is for both paid and free apps. If you log into the VPP portal, you will find that many free apps, such as "Google Maps", are visible in the search.

I can't definitively answer for AirWatch specifically. but I would guess that they haven't added support for free apps yet. The restriction isn't in the VPP program itself though.

One way you could potentially get around this is configure your iOS devices to automatically download app store purchases. If you then assign the licenses to devices (through AirWatch or otherwise) the apps will show up on the devices without requiring that the MDM provider allow you to push out app install requests. This is less practical in a BYOD scenario, but may work if you have an enterprise-owned device deployment.

Happy to discuss further!

And for full disclosure, per the requests of this site, I am associated with Unwired DeviceLink (which does support Apple's VPP program).

Taylor Boyko
tboyko@unwiredrev.com
http://www.unwireddevicelink.com

m.lepich's picture

m.lepich

Taylor, Thanks for getting

Your rating: None

Taylor,
Thanks for getting back to me. The only thing different about this is that I am trying with a OSX app in Mavericks. I haven't tried with an IOS app yet. The background is that we have a user who was approved to get Final Cut Pro. Since that app is $300 we wanted to make sure that our organization retains the ownership of the app. So we upgraded AirWatch and started the VPP process last week.

thanks,
Mark

tboyko's picture

tboyko

The VPP program is certainly

Your rating: None

The VPP program is definitely the way to achieve that. It sounds like you'll need to get an official response from AirWatch. There shouldn't be any harm in trying to push Final Cut Pro. You will certainly be able to revoke that license down the road, with AirWatch or otherwise. Just make sure you aren't using redemption codes.

Taylor Boyko
tboyko@unwiredrev.com
http://www.unwireddevicelink.com