I manage our districts iPads using the Meraki MDM and now I want to be able to push Mac Apps to new teacher Macbooks. My issue is I cannot seem to get the App assigned to the Macbooks.
Here's what I've done.
1. Added devices to our Apple Device Enrollment account and assigned them to our MDM server.
2. I purchased the Mac App in VPP.
3. Synced the app in the Meraki MDM
4. Granted license to users
5. Added app to Meraki App management with custom tag identifying the app
6. Added the custom tag as the scope for installation.
Here is where it gets fun, once the tag is added, the clients in scope remain 0.
Confirmed on the Mac that app is assigned to the Apple Id, as it allows me to install it manually, but I want to be able to deploy it like we do for iPad apps.
This is the 1st time I have tried to deploy an OSX app, Up to this point we were only doing iPad apps. I have scoured the Meraki site and Google for more info, and no luck. So I am hoping someone has done this or can confirm that what I want to do is not possible.
Here is the app I am trying to push to the Macbooks.AntiVirus Sentinel Pro
I noticed that in Meraki, the Platform is Identified as IOS but when going to the Itunes App page it is an OSX app, When I can the scope and select an iPad it accepts the tag and updated the scope correctly. Did I import the app into Meraki incorrectly? On the Macbook it shows up as a Mac app.
Any help would be appreciated, I can do a manual install on the 30+ Macs if I need to, but hoping it's a simple mistake or missed step on my part.
A while back, we "purchased" Notability when it went free in the App Store. We "bought" many licenses and have never had a problem until now.
Previously, students could install the app with no issues from the AirWatch App Catalog. Now, many of the kids are receiving a message that they will be redirected to the App Store to pay the $2.99 for the app.
Obviously, something has changed. Is anyone aware of what the change was? Most, if not all, of the devices are running iOS 8.4.
Has anybody successfully used the new Apple ID U13 Kisok program where parent confirmation e-mails are no longer used to create U13 Apple IDs for Students?
We signed up to use that but even after working with Apple Enterprise support have not been able to upload the initial U13 file to start the processing. We are under the gun to get this process started so if you are successfully using this new U13 kiosk mode to create your Apple IDs please touch base with me. At this point since we can not get this to work we will use the older U13 program like last year with the parent confirmation e-mails, which is not ideal for our District.
I have a roll out of around 300 devices that have all been supervised before. However many of them have starting to get issues with the time, they're about 8 hours ahead. All devices have time and time zone set to auto, they're all on iOS 8.3 or 8.4. There is a mixture of iPhone 6's and iPad Air 2's.
Plugging into configurator doesn't set the time automatically. The time settings on there are all set to auto as well and location services are enabled. The time on the Mac is shown correctly.
When the timezone on the devices are changed to manual, which flicks it over to Los Angeles by default, the time is then correct (I'm in England). When it is set back to auto (which shows London) it then jumps forward another 8 hours.
I'm really hoping that I have missed something obvious here, because I'm at an absolute loss as to what to do. I've tried everything from moving the time around on the mac, disabling enabling location services, reformatting the devices.
Many thanks in advance,
Apple today updated the venerable iPod touch. The new model features a 64-bit A8 CPU, better cameras, and a new 128GB storage tier. Prices begin at $199 for a 16GB model, same as before.
It's been nearly three years since the iPod touch was significantly updated. The iPod touch 5 came out in September 2012. That iPod has been a workhorse in enterprise retail, as a low-cost and highly-durable mobile platform.
It appears that the new iPod touch 6 has exactly the same form factor as its predecessor. There's a good chance it will be compatible with the various sleds, scanners, and cases already in wide use today.
I have few questions regarding Apple Configurator 2.0.
Can we pre-enroll devices to the MDM like AirWatch and MobileIron with a staging users and then use of a 'sign in' method where the end user will take ownership of the device and get their personalized content?
Configurator 2 allows you to save all of your Configuration Profiles in iCloud Drive for easy synchronization between multiple Configurator stations. Does this mean we have to use same apple id if we are using multiple stations to configure the devices?
We all need to begin getting familiar with the upcoming release of iOS 9, which we expect to arrive in late September. I just found this great place to begin — David Pogue on Yahoo Tech gives us a Deep Plunge of the "57 Coolest Features" in the new OS.
The new iOS version looks and feels just the same as before, and everything’s in the same places; nothing new will confuse you. But don’t let appearances fool you; Apple’s software plastic surgeons have made hundreds of little tweaks that are intended to make its mobile devices faster, smarter, and more stable.
Do you have an iOS 9 beta on any of your devices? How is it holding up for you so far?
iOS 8 was released this morning with a new music streaming service. Our database of iOS Devices has already updated itself with direct download links. The release notes are below!
This update introduces Apple Music—a revolutionary music service, 24/7 global radio, and a way for fans to connect with their favorite artists—all included in the redesigned Music app. iOS 8.4 also includes improvements for iBooks and bug fixes.
- Become an Apple Music member to play from millions of songs in the Apple Music catalog, or keep them offline for playback later
- For You: Members can see playlist and album recommendations, handpicked by music experts
- New: Members can find the latest, greatest new music available—direct from our editors
- Radio: Tune in to music, interviews, and exclusive radio shows on Beats 1, play radio stations created by our editors or create your own from any artist or song
- Connect: See shared thoughts, photos, music, and videos from artists you follow, then join the conversation
- My Music: Play from all of your iTunes purchases, songs from Apple Music, and playlists in one place
- Completely redesigned music player that includes new features such as Recently Added, MiniPlayer, Up Next, and more
- iTunes Store: Still the best place to buy your favorite music—one song or album at a time
- Availability and features may vary by country
iBooks improvements and fixes
- Browse, listen and download audiobooks from inside iBooks
- Enjoy the all-new Now Playing feature, designed specifically for audiobooks
- Books that are Made for iBooks now work on iPhone in addition to iPad
- Find and pre-order books in a series right from your library
- Improves accessibility of widgets, glossary and navigation in books made with iBooks Author
- New default Chinese font
- New setting to turn off Auto-Night theme in your library
- Resolves an issue that may have prevented Hide Purchases from working
- Resolves an issue that may have prevented downloading books from iCloud
Other improvements and bug fixes
- Fixes an issue where receiving a specific series of Unicode characters causes device to reboot
- Fixes an issue that prevented GPS accessories from providing location data
- Fixes an issue where deleted Apple Watch apps could re-install
For information on the security content of this update, please visit this website:
I hope someone can help.
I am trying to deploy and manage iPhones. I've tested out using:
1) Firstly Apple Configurator. At this stage, I found it still asks for an iTunes sign in. Is there a way for silently building in this signin?
2) Meraki Systems Manager - this stage works fairly well. But when apps are pushed to the handsets, the handset again asks for iTunes username & password. Is it possible to ensure the handset does not ask for this?
Apple has posted all the WWDC session videos online, and there a lot in there. The Tuesday morning session on "What's New in Managing Apple Devices" contains especially important new announcements for the community of iOS administrators. There's a lot of great changes coming to iOS 9 and OS X "El Capitan."
In the spirit of the new, more open, WWDC Non-NDA, I'm linking to the full video and offering a short summary of the topics covered. It's really good to keep in mind that beta software is not production software, and may change before release.
In my opinion there were three big announcements. They are....drumroll:
- Devices can receive apps WITHOUT an Apple ID
- Apple is making supervision MUCH more important. Supervise your devices NOW.
- A whole new Configurator 2
If your job depends on managing Apple devices, I encourage you to watch the entire hour session.
Presenter: Todd Fernandez, Senior Manager, Device Management
Apple's Device Enrollment Program: A request to pronounce it by its letters "D.E.P." and not as a word "dep." DEP is now available in 26 countries
Enrollment optimization: New key in MDM to wait until device is fully configured. MDM commands now wait until..Apple ID, etc.
Automated Enrollment: enroll in MDM without screen taps. How does it work?
- Set up DEP
- Connect to Apple Configurator
- Configurator completes setup
- Focus on VPP Managed Distribution. 3 big changes
- VPP now in 26 countries
- Multinational app assignment: Purchase VPP apps in any country, distribute to any country where app is sold
Assign VPP distribution apps to devices (#1 Big announcement of the day)
- No invitation process
- No Apple ID required on device
- Does not appear in users purchase history
- Installation and updates controlled by MDM server
- Need to buy app for each device
- Can be revoked and re-assiigned
- "Smooth migration" from user assignment: app and data stays in place
NOTE: Requires Opt In from App developer on iTunes Connect. Best for apps to store app data in cloud.
Now also caches iCloud data, documents, CloudKit data, Photo Library, on-demand app resources
- Can convert apps from unmanaged to managed without losing user data
- Can install via MDM or Configurator while app store is disabled. (This is a biggie!)
New explicit user trust flow for apps, prevent user from trusting apps, Apps installed via MDM do not require explicit trust (finally)
New MDM Commands
- Available software updates
- Update to latest iOS (DEP supervised devices only)
- Network usage rules
- Restrict:Screen recording, trust new enterprise app authors, treat airdrop as unmanaged, automatic app downloads, iCloud photo library, keyboad shortcuts, modify device name, passcode, wallpaper, news, pair with Apple Watch
Deprecating MANY profile restrictions: these will require supervision in the future. (#2 Big announcement of the day)
- Restrict App Installation
- Restrict App Removal
- Restrict FaceTime
- Restrict Safari
- Restrict iTunes
- Restrict Explicit Content
- Restrict iCloud documents and data
- Restrict Multiplayer Gaming
- Restrict Add GameCenter Friends
Configurator 2 (#3 Big announcement of the day)
- “We’ve received a lot of feedback"
- Completed reinvented. "Apple Configurator 2” — New blue logo
- Devices front and center
- discrete tasks
- easy automation
- multiple stations
- companion to DEP and MDM
- Command line tool, scripting library, automator.
More information about automating workflows with Configurator is available in Session 306.
There wasn't a too much enterprise meat at yesterday's WWDC keynote buffet, but the feast isn't over yet! A session focused on enterprise and education is going to give us a lot more to chew on. The session begins at 11:00 San Francisco time, and if we are lucky it may be live-streamed for Apple Developer Program members.
What's New in Managing Apple Devices
Learn about the latest developments in managing Apple devices in large organizations. Learn the latest techniques to wirelessly configure settings, monitor compliance with policies, install apps and bulk configure devices with ease.
On the enterprise developer page, Apple is teasing a guide to "What's New — Coming Soon." By "Soon" I assume they mean "this afternoon." At the same time, as last year, Apple may be updating their prerelease reference guide for configuration profIles. It isn't updates yet, but when they do I'll post a summary here.
Apple today announced the next version of iOS — iOS 9 — at it's annual Worldwide Developers Conference. There's a lot of info posted on the usual news sites covering the marquee features. But there's also some great info available to the public, if you can find it. Never fear; I've found it for you.
(There's much more available if you are a member of the relaunched Apple Developer Program. Those are still under NDA so we won't be discussing them here.)
- Prerelease documentation
- iOS 9 Release Notes
- Apple Configuration 2.0 beta
- New Enterprise Development Page
The public release notes contain a line I found to be quite interesting:
The AvailableOSUpdates MDM command fails on unsupervised devices as an unknown command. The command succeeds only on supervised DEP-enrolled devices.
Does that mean MDM will be able to manage iOS updates with iOS 9? One can hope.
Of course if you are in San Francisco for WWDC, join us at our annual WWDC meetup Wednesday night!
About This Site
- Comparison of MDM Providers (633,458)
- Complete List of iOS User-Agent Strings (264,164)
- How to get remote viewing/control of the IPAD screen via internet or preferably 3G? (175,757)
- Apple Configurator vs. MDM (124,384)
- Mobile Device Management (82,771)
- Apple Profile Manager (72,567)
- Batch Apple ID Creator (67,633)
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for MDM (2014, 2012, 2011) (67,230)
- AirWatch (67,147)
- iOS Devices (66,560)
Comparison of MDM Providers
Forum topic comment by Rogers 17 hours ago
Mobile Management Provider changed by FrankGraziani 21 hours ago
Mobile Management Provider changed by Cortado 23 hours ago
Forum topic comment by duffjay 1 day ago
Forum topic added by SDCCS_Tech 4 days ago
Forum topic comment by Kees 5 days ago
Forum topic added by dkingsho 6 days ago
Wiki Page comment by zarpu 1 week ago
Forum topic added by ScottBenson 1 week ago
Forum topic comment by Mansoorsharifi 1 week ago
Forum topic added by Foldr 1 week ago
Forum topic comment by HCCSC John H 1 week ago
Forum topic comment by HCCSC John H 1 week ago
Forum topic comment by jvolzer 1 week ago
Mobile Management Provider changed by JAMFSoftware 2 weeks ago
Forum topic added by jerthebear 2 weeks ago
Forum topic comment by jerthebear 2 weeks ago
Mobile Management Provider changed by gabriellehoyt 2 weeks ago
Mobile Management Provider changed by simon.bonello 2 weeks ago
Forum topic comment by ianrichie 2 weeks ago